They're too wild for one world! Tonight on Svengoolie


Abbot and Costello Go to Mars
1953 | B&W | 77 Minutes | 1.85:1 | G | Sci-Fi | Mono | Universal


Director:
Charles Lamont

Writers: 
D.D. Beauchamp


Stars:
Bud Abbott
Lou Costello 
Robert Paige

Orville (Lou Costello) is the oldest orphan at the Hideaway Orphans Home. He accidentally winds up inside a truck heading to a top secret laboratory, where he is placed under the guidance of lab worker Lester (Bud Abbott) to help load supplies onto a rocket ship  While on board  Orville hits the ignition button and the rocket launches, and flies across the country to New Orleans, where Mardi Gras is in progress. They exit the ship and witness "hideous creatures", which are actually costumed celebrants, and conclude that they have landed on Mars.

Meanwhile, two escaped convicts, Harry the Horse (Jack Kruschen) and Mugsy (Horace McMahon), enter the rocket, put on the available spacesuits, and head to New Orleans to rob a bank. Lester and Orville, also clad in spacesuits, are wrongly accused of the crime and rush back to the rocket ship  where Mugsy and Harry force them to launch.

After landing on Venus, the four men leave the rocket ship  and Orville is quickly captured by local guards and brought to Queen Allura (Mari Blanchard), who informs him that Venus is only inhabited by women as men were banished a long time ago. She takes a shine to him and decides that he can stay if he promises to be true to her. He agrees, and has Harry and Mugsy imprisoned for their crimes. Mugsy then convinces one of the female guards to flirt with Orville to prove that he cannot be trusted. Orville "takes the bait", and the Queen orders all of the men to leave her planet. Upon returning to Earth, they are lauded as heroes, and Allura, who is watching the celebration from Venus, sends a spaceship to drop a cake on Orville's head.
(Source I cheated today)

2 comments:

  1. I was so surprised to see that Sven isn't showing "Santa Claus Conquers The Martians" tonight! I might have to watch my own copy of it. Still, I was looking forward to all his added Sven-Surrounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was bummed I hear so many fans talk about if I feel like I'm missing something. :( I was really hoping that was the rerun that they would play. So now tonight I will watch the version I have of Elvira hosting.

    ReplyDelete