Out of a time-rotted tomb crawls an unspeakable horror!

I Bury The Living
1958 | B&W | 76 Minutes | 1.85:1 | NR | Film-Noir | United Artist

Source: DVD

Director: Albert Band

Writer: Louis Garfinkle

Stars:
Richard Boone
Theodore Bikel
Peggy Maurer



Through a series of macabre "coincidences," the newly-elected director of a cemetery (Richard Boone) begins to believe that he can cause the deaths of living owners of burial plots by merely changing the push-pin color from white (living) to black (dead) on a large wall map of the cemetery that notes those plots.



So how many movies will you watch in a lifetime that the monster is a push pin and a cemetery map? My guess would have to be only one! And it is so worth your time to track it down. The movie is pretty easy to find it fell into Public Doman and I have it on a few of those cheap DVD sets with 15 movies on them. The good news for my copy, it looked great they did not try to squeeze it done to pixeled goo.

Pin Board
It's Alive!

With all the talk lately in message boards that I belong to about Full Moon Features, I decided to take a look at Charles Band's father's movie site on IMBD. I wanted to take a look into the window of a man that has given us some talented children. I was happy to see I had one movie in my collection and I'm now seeking out a few others. Albert Band did a few westerns that I will track down especially after watching this movie.  Being a fan of westerns, it was nice to see Richard Boone slowly go off the deep in this bone-chilling tale of Film-Noir. All though for me it was more fun watching Dennis the Menace's dad Herbert Anderson play a slick reporter that somehow got under my skin in a very good way throughout this movie.

He's Dead!
Damn it Uncle!


This is a great cast of who is who in television back in the 50's and 60's. They all work well together with very well written parts by Louis Garfinkle who also gave us the Deer Hunter. In fact, Garfinkle's script is pretty solid for this movie as well. 20 minutes into I Bury I truly thought to myself I had it all figured out. And he lets you hang onto to those thoughts all the way to the end. (Yep I was wrong, way wrong) Also, a key player in this movie is the Cemetery map that grows bigger and bigger has our man carter grows nuttier and nuttier. Band's compositions and framing in this movie are rock solid and really help move the movie to its climax. You get some great subdue camera angles that for me caught my attention.


Please Help Me

Now let us talk about the best character in the movie. That would have to be Gerald Fried's score that drives into your head and never leaves. The use of Timpani, Tuba's, Bassinets, and oboe's works so brilliantly that I now must own the soundtrack. I don't know what it is but it really hit's you on a low tone that makes you  go mad with the main character. 

Going Mad
Going Mad
Now let's talk about the bad. And it's a bad that brings down the overall rating. That would be the ending. And I hope not to spoil it for you so I will take it easy. The tension in the movie builds up so nice and at times you are going crazy right along with it. The board gets bigger, the music is beating you down your heart rate is up the climax is coming and your left kind of high and dry!  Wait it's over? Who did what? Why? Ugh, the last 2 minutes almost blow's it for this marvel that I have never seen before. What the hell are you thinking Garfinkle? Why the hell did you just put me through all of this? But yet it was kind of genius in a way. It really made you think about it for a second. But it still pissed me off.

The Map Controls You
The Map Controls you!

Now don't let the rant about the ending fool you I loved this movie. In fact, everything played out perfect for me. Last night we had a cool chill in the air that went along with the feel you get from watching. I have never heard about this movie so I went into it blind and yet it moved me in such a way that I still can not explain. This movie really get's under your skin in such a good way. I absolutely love finding a hidden gem! If you have not seen this movie yet, you must add it to your list. It would make a great movie to start off the Halloween season.

It will drive you mad!

4 Bloody Brains out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment