The most amazing suspense-thriller of the year!

Shadow Of The Cat
1961 | B&W | 79 Minutes | 1.33:1 | NA | Horror | Mono | Hammer Studio's

Source: Svengoolie

Director: John Gilling

Writer: George Baxt

Stars:
André Morell
Barbara Shelley
William Lucas


Plot: A female house cat sees her mistress murdered by her husband and two servants and becomes ferociously bent on revenge.

As I have stated in the past I'm not much of a fan when it comes to Hammer Horror. Not sure why part of me feels it comes from the classic monsters that they gave their spin on. Was never a fan of those but after seeing the preview for this on Svengoolie I got pretty excited about it. Now I'm months behind on my Sven viewing but was happy to jump ahead to this one. Why not a cat cause all kinds of chaos to help solve a murder of her master.


The first thing that I notice about this movie is the set piece. Most of the movie takes place in an old castle-like home(?). It really fits the creepy era that the movie takes place. The cast fits the bill as well and really help move the pace along. Barbara Shelley, a Hammer staple is very beautiful in this movie and you get the sense as to why she was a star for the company. In fact after watching Shadow of the Cat I have moved Village of the Damned and The Gorgon close to the top of my watch soon list. 


The rest of the cast works well with each other, the two servants of the house do so well being scared of the cat you can see the terror in their eyes. The mean uncle is such an ass that you really like him or at least I did. And the cat was good too not much you can say it was more a movie about it than the cat really killing people. Also, the soundtrack is not bad gives you a 60's jazz time vibe but it works.


So what do you know I enjoyed a Hammer Film and really dug into the mystery and suspense of this movie. Maybe I will stop avoiding the Hammer Film camp and look into it some more. Lord knows they have a huge following and some people will tell you that their movies were much better than American made movies. I can safely say that this would be a fun movie to revisit around Halloween.

Hammer you get


3 Bloody Brains out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment