Would You Like Fries With That?


The Igloo has grown to become an iconic location of the Illinois Valley area since it first opened on July 4th, 1937. Founded during the Great Depression by the original owners Louis "Louie" and Stephanie "Pat" Mazzorana, the Igloo continued to be family owned and operated into December of 2010. Carrying on the traditions and continuing to build the business for the future it was then passed on to Rich and Chris Decker on December 16th, 2010. Rich and Chris both bring years of restaurant experience to the Igloo in addition to their dedication to carry(ing) on the Igloo anniversary every July 4th. We are over 75 years old. (Source http://www.igloodiner.com/Home_Page.html

Every town has one there favorite greasy spoon where you go and everybody know's you by name. You have your favorite  go-to dish but your never afraid to try something new. The Igloo has been a family tradition sense I was a kid going way back to when my parents went there after the big football game or dance. It was the car hop to hang out at and it still is to this day! Not a lot has changed in the 70 years the tables and booths are the same from when I was a kid and when someone leaves the area and comes home  has to get a pork and fires with a papaya drink when they get back into town. It's a part of us that fingers crossed will be here for generations to come.

The very popular Igloo Double Pork

It's hard to explain the Igloo but it has been a huge part of my life. As teen's, we would go and hang out drinking homemade vanilla coke with the world's greatest homemade fries. You would take dates to the Igloo and play that special song on the jukebox holding hands  while sharing a milkshake. And the guys knew it was a special date as they always gave you two straws. If an outsider walked in they might find it to be a little dirty or old but for those of us that live here, we do not want it to change.


The Igloo is so popular in this household that when we ordered it this past weekend we do not even have to ask "what do you girls want?" we already know. My go to would have to be a  Cheeseburger, Fries and that oh so yummy homemade chili. They are also very popular for their homemade Root Beer that still comes in a frosty mug!


And to this day, they still sell homemade pie every day! And just like my folks did on a date you can still park your car in the lot leave your lights on and out will come somebody to take your order! 

So you do you have that favorite hang out spot in your town? What is it you order off the menu? Does your favorite have a website leave me a comment below I would love to check it out! 

This is part of the A to Z Challenge

6 comments:

  1. Igloo double pork? That sounds great!

    We do have a particular favourite restaurant named Coffee Gallery and I decided to go with something new last week - the lemonade fish burger - it was delicious and I'll be going back for more!

    Open Minded Mormon A-Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a kid, the popular spot like that in my one horse town was called "The Chocolate Shop." Yeah, just like in the Archie comics although I'm sure the business predated those. It was always a treat to go there, have an ice cream float, and play the mini-jukeboxes that were in each booth. Three plays for a quarter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remeber those little Jukeboxes at an dinner around here they where fun to play with.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a great place right up my alley. The greasier the better. And cheesburger, fries and chili are always my go to for diners. It's how I compare and rank them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That double pork sandwich sounds darn good. I'll have to check this out if I'm ever near the area. I want one now!

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete